What is Backstage?
Backstage is an open platform for building developer portals. Powered by a centralized software catalog, Backstage restores order to your microservices and infrastructure and enables your product teams to ship high-quality code quickly — without compromising autonomy.
Backstage unifies all your infrastructure tooling, services, and documentation to create a streamlined development environment from end to end.
Out of the box, Backstage includes:
- Backstage Software Catalog for managing all your software (microservices, libraries, data pipelines, websites, ML models, etc.)
- Backstage Software Templates for quickly spinning up new projects and standardizing your tooling with your organization’s best practices
- Backstage TechDocs for making it easy to create, maintain, find, and use technical documentation, using a "docs like code" approach
- Plus, a growing ecosystem of open source plugins that further expand Backstage’s customizability and functionality
Backstage was created by Spotify but is now hosted by the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF) as an Incubation level project. Read the announcement here.
A detailed project roadmap, including already delivered milestones, is available here.
Check out the documentation on how to start using Backstage.
- Main documentation
- Software Catalog
- Architecture (Decisions)
- Designing for Backstage
- Storybook - UI components
- Discord chatroom - Get support or discuss the project
- Contributing to Backstage - Start here if you want to contribute
- RFCs - Help shape the technical direction
- FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
- Code of Conduct - This is how we roll
- Adopters - Companies already using Backstage
- Blog - Announcements and updates
- Newsletter - Subscribe to our email newsletter
- Backstage Community Sessions - Join monthly meetups and explore Backstage community
- Give us a star
⭐️- If you are using Backstage or think it is an interesting project, we would love a star ❤️
Copyright 2020-2022 © The Backstage Authors. All rights reserved. The Linux Foundation has registered trademarks and uses trademarks. For a list of trademarks of The Linux Foundation, please see our Trademark Usage page: https://www.linuxfoundation.org/trademark-usage
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0: http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
Please report sensitive security issues via Spotify's bug-bounty program rather than GitHub.
For further details please see our complete security release process.